MTH499 (01) COMPUTATIONAL MATHEMATICS SEMINAR
Instructor: Dr. Alfa Heryudono
Welcome students! I am happy that you sign up for my MTH499 Spring 2010 CSUMS class. This class is going to be different than regular class in the sense that you choose a topic, learn it as deep as you can, and present what you have learned to other students. You are expected to :
- Do some numerical experiments with problem solving environment such as MATLAB, Mathematica, Maple, or other open source tools.
- Read references to learn about history, interesting phenomena, and numerical techniques.
- Write your research diary in your blog.
- Make research presentation.
- Make report in LaTeX.
- Make a poster.
Hopefully, by the end of the semester, you will learn something useful.
Things you need to do during the first week:
- Choose advisor (+ co advisor).
- Choose research topic of your interest or discuss possible interesting research topics with your advisor.
- Set up regular meeting with your advisor to report your progress.
Possible research topics are available on the left (Bullets 7, 8, and 9). Other interesting topics are also available in books by Cleve Moler.
Participating team research blogs (ordered alphabetically based on last name)
- Sidafa Conde+Charles Poole (poster)
- Sidafa Conde+Zack Grant (poster) (final report)
- Adelaide Hopkins (poster) (final report) (maple codes)
- Matthew Huberman+Charles Poole (poster) (final report)
- Daniel Kelleher (poster) (final report)
- Justin McKennon (poster) (final report)
- Daniel Walsh (poster) (final report)
TA: Daniel Higgs
I strongly encourage you to participate in the poster or talk sessions in the conferences below.
For undergraduate students.
1. 16th UMass Dartmouth Sigma Xi Research Exhibition. Claire Carney Library. Wednesday-Thursday (April 21-22 2010)
Deadline for Abstract: April 9 2010
2. Massachusetts Statewide Undergraduate Research Conference. UMass Amherst. Friday, April 23 2010
Deadline for Abstract: February 23 2010
Interesting talks to attend:
1. New England Numerical Analysis Day. WPI. Saturday, May 8 2010